Renovation of existing Primary and Secondary school in Sampa, Ghana, West Africa
Sampa Catholic Mission School was built about 30 years ago to educate children in the Sampa community regardless of their race, religion, culture or background. The school also serves many of the children from the surrounding communities. Thaddeus Mensah was born and raised in Sampa. He attended and graduated from the Sampa Catholic Mission School back in the 1970’s. In 2007, while visiting his hometown and the school grounds, Thaddeus noticed many of the damage issues concerning the school building. As a Co-Founder of SCEP and passionate about his hometown school, Thaddeus approached the SCEP board about renovating the school building. The SCEP board agreed to partner with the Sampa Catholic Mission School as well as the parents and community leaders to provide financial resources to renovate the school building.
Facts about the Sampa Catholic Mission School
- 24 classrooms in need of repair
- $2,500 (U.S. dollars) per classroom (estimate – pending inflation)
- 600 children attend the school (approx.)
- 20 – 25 students per class (approx.)
- Children from Sampa and other surrounding communities attend the school
- Children from other races, religions, cultures and backgrounds attend the school
- Education is the key to providing more opportunities for a brighter future for the student and his/her family
How SCEP partnered and completed the renovation project
- Developed a partnership with the Sampa Catholic Mission School, parents and community leaders
- Created an agreement to renovate one classroom at a time (pending the appropriate funding)
- Goal is the complete all 24 classrooms (estimated total cost to complete all 24 classrooms US $60,000.00)
- Achieved goal – renovated all 24 classrooms and new roofing was installed (SCEP’s total donation US $30,000.00)
- Catholic Mission and the Community provided a portion of the materials as well as labor
PHASE 1: ‘MODEL’ CLASSROOM RENOVATION
PHASE 2: CLASSROOM ROOF RENOVATIONS
BEFORE & AFTER PHOTOS
Renovation of the building structure of 6 classrooms which includes new windows & paint.
6 finished classrooms & new block of
Sept. 15, 2011 – completed 12 classrooms
Completion of the R.C. Sampa school!!